Nothing beats a night out on the town, drinking with your friends, laughing and just having an all-around good time…especially when you’re vacationing in the Central Arizona area. Southwest bars aren’t all cowboy hats and country music (not that there is anything wrong with a country bar, we DO have quite a few of those as well!)…we actually have an amazing selection of pubs, bars and other drinking establishments where we promise a good time will be had by all! Below is a list, divided by city…Scottsdale isn’t the only place to get your drink on in the desert!
Being a college town (Fear the Fork!), Tempe is vibrant, youthful, not far from Scottsdale and…has a lot of places to drink, which in our books makes it an EXCELLENT place to visit! In no particular order are some of our fave Tempe drinking spots.
- Four Peaks Brewing Company- Voted New Times Best Brewery/Brew Pub this establishment has a passion for beer and shows in their personally crafted beers that they brew right on the premises. For only $10 they conduct a tour of their process that includes 2 taster tickets for 1 16 ounce beer each.
- The Big Bang-This piano bar features dueling pianos…and great beer! Come for the show, stay for the beer and don’t be afraid to sing along with the pianists!
- Rula Bula- An Irish Pub whose name means “uproar and commotion” their live music, open mike nights and on Wednesdays, their Brainstormer Pub Quiz is a hit for all the future Jeopardy Contestants out there! (And they poor a mean Guinness!)
When you’re looking for a little bit older crowd, business people…and a few celebrities if you look close enough…Phoenix has that big city with a small town heart…and some really cool places to drink!
- Lustre Rooftop Garden at Hotel Palomar-Panoramic views of the Phoenix skyline, elegant surroundings, local craft beers, and a pool…need we say more?
- The Whining Pig- The name alone makes us want to dub this our own special watering hole and the large selection of beers and wines they offer (which they rotate regularly, so there is always something new to sample!) keep us coming back time after time. Next time we visit, we think we want to try the Pale Ale called Monkey Knife fight…yeah…it’s all about the name!
- Mother Bunch Brewing- If you’re serious about your craft beers, Mother Bunch’s is the place for you! With a long list of craft beers and some very excellent wines, we invite you to give them a try! The food they serve is pretty yummy as well!
Chandler, Mesa, & Scottsdale
This list can’t continue forever, but we do have to mention a few other places that truly deserve recognition! Sandbar Mexican Grill in Chandler is just fun, designed to look like a Mexican Beach Cantina with outdoor tables on a sandy lot, great Mexican food and ice cold cervezas! The Beer Research Institute in Mesa is hidden away in a strip mall, but they pack a lot of punch in their cozy brick establishment. Craft beer lovers from all over the Phoenix Metropolitan area are flocking to this awesome craft beer bar. Whiskey Row in Old Scottsdale offers self-serve beer, live contry music, and some of the best Gastropub in the area, while Bottled Blond – also in Old Town Scottsdale – is yet another delicious, fun, and enjoyable nightlife hotspot that can’t be missed! And finally, we can’t forget about the Pig & Pickle in Scottsdale…serving local food, baking their own bread and serving the best drinks…their catch phrase “simple, humble, good” suits them to a tee.