So you’ve been contemplating a visit to Scottsdale for quite a while now, but you’re just not sure when the best time to visit would be? You’ve heard that summers can be brutal, but the heat is a dry heat – so not so bad, right? Or what about the winter with its “rainy season” (It lasts about 2 weeks, max!) and the crowds of people who flock here to take advantage of our mild temperatures? Crowds really aren’t your thing, but isn’t it worth it to escape the nasty weather you suffer through in your hometown? Fall is a busy time for you, the kids are heading back to school and quite frankly, fall in Ohio is probably the most beautiful time of year, so you most likely won’t want to leave then.
Fortunately for you, we have a solution to your travel woes. Springtime in Scottsdale is probably the most beautiful time of year; while you and all your family and friends who live in less temperate climates are suffering through blizzards and snowstorms and rain and even tornados, we wake up pretty much every day to sunshine. Below is a list of 5 great reasons for planning a spring vacation in the Sonoran Desert!
- The Weather – To be honest, we could fill all 5 of the categories with these two words. While you may still be layering on the clothes and shoveling snow back where you live, pretty much every day we wake up to skies blue and clear, soft golden rays of sun and temperatures in the 70s and 80s. The air is soft, the wildflowers are blooming, and everywhere you look, you will see people smiling, laughing, and enjoying the ability to be outdoors wearing only shorts, tee-shirts, and their most comfortable flip flops!
- Major League Baseball Spring Training – Summer is just around the corner and our favorite boys of summer need to amp up their training; where is better than in the beautiful Southwest? Starting March 1st and lasting till the second of April, the San Francisco Giants, The Colorado Rockies and our hometown heroes, the Arizona Diamondbacks all call the Salt River Fields at Talking Stick their home. Those aren’t the only teams that spend spring training here, though – fans of the Chicago Cubs, the Cincinnati Reds and about 10 other teams have all discovered the joy of Spring Training in the desert!
- The Renaissance Festival – From February 8 to March 30, weekends are for jousting, turkey legs, and the Dead Bob show! Located in Apache Junction, which is just a short drive from Scottsdale, you can dress in your finest medieval garb and step back into a past time filled with bawdy humor, magic shows, and more fun than was probably legal back in the day!
- Arizona Bike Week – Hop on that Hog and head to WestWorld of Scottsdale for a fun week of bikes, bikers, music, and tattoos! April 6th through 10th is when Arizonans celebrate all that is motorcycle related – and listen to some awesome music to boot! Spend your days watching stunt shows: King Tony’s Busted Knuckles Stunt Tour, the Harley-Davidson Scottsdale Drill Team, and The Brigade all offer stunts and tricks guaranteed to awe. Then spend your nights watching performances by some of the music world’s finest performers – Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Buckcherry, Ratt, and many others!
- Hiking, bicycling, climbing and swimming – And finally, as if all the above weren’t enough, spring time in Scottsdale is THE perfect time to just get outside and play! Climb Camelback Mountain for a view of the Phoenix metropolitan area unlike any other. You never realize how beautiful a city is until you get the chance to see it from above. Hike the many trails to be found throughout Scottsdale and the beautiful Sonoran Desert for an up close look at cactus, wildflowers, and other desert flora. Slip on a helmet and ride the streets of the valley on your Trek bicycle, or just lounge by the pool perfecting the tan all your friends and family back home will be green with envy over!
Scottsdale in the spring is the most wonderful time of the year; isn’t it time you found out for yourself?